Good morning, today I decided to share some tips for those of you going into college/university especially those living in residence and eating in a caf (meal plan).
Just wanted to start by saying I don’t monitor my weight very much I just happen to have weighed myself in august before going away for school, and then when I got home (our scale connects to my fitbit account and saves the data) and I noticed I lost 9.6lbs. Now I’m sure some of this has to with stress and other factors that I don’t recommend but I did make some healthy changes in my life and that is what I wanted to share with you today.
- Go to the gym/just move : You can go to the gym, do a sport or anything that just get’s your heart rate up. Most schools offer a gym membership and access to different facilities/programs included in your tuition, see what your school offers and take advantage of that *
- Just eat when your hungry : (Don’t over eat) This can be particularly hard if your caf is an all you can eat buffet style. If you find you eat a lot at one time then you are hungry pretty soon after that, try eating less (more protein and fibre rich foods) but more frequently (I like to always keep granola bars or and apple sauce with me, but really any snack works)
- Drink lots of water : Water does wonders for your body, if you don’t trust me just look up some articles!
- Don’t diet, just make better choices : you don’t have to diet to improve your health (if anything some diets cause more harm then good). If you have 2 (or more options) choose the healthier of the two, doesn’t have to be the healthiest thing in the world sometimes it’s the small victories. (probs going to write another post about eating healthier in uni/on a budget)
- Sleep as much as you can : Lol if you ask me what’s one thing I learned in uni, I would tell you is how to nap, in HS I would have 6 hours of class, then practice after school then sometimes a 3 hour rehearsal after dinner, then homework, and never napped, now I can barely go a day without napping. I get it sometimes no matter how good you are at time management, you still run out of time in a day, but honestly do your best to sleep as much as you can, helps your body and your mind.
- Only give yourself access to healthy snacks : If you buy your own food, don’t buy junk, because if you don’t have it then you can’t eat it.
- Don’t (excessively) drink : Okay I mean a little is okay but alcohol contains a ton of calories and is also very dehydrating for your body, so always make sure to drink lots of water. Not to mention it’s expensive and your probs already a broke student.
*I lived off campus, so I had a 10 min walk to campus everyday (at the very least once a day) but if you live close by, take the long way to get to a class, or just walk around, great for you physically and mentally especially if you have been sitting in class or studying all day
**I focus more on my BMI/body mass %, and it varies from person to person so always make sure your doing what’s right for you and if you have any questions or concerns talk to your doctor or nutritionist.
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed my tips,